Query regarding lines as punishment

What punishments have worked for you? Which made you (or your partner) feel frustrated or resentful?

This is the meta forum, focused more on general talk.

Does cursive or print work better for writing lines?

cursive
63%
print
38%

Total votes : 8

Query regarding lines as punishment

Postby altbob » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:28 am

With assigning lines as punishment, I'm considering using print rather than cursive. I think that would take longer and make it a more deliberate process, hopefully resulting in better cranial penetration. To those who have done lines as punishment, have they been cursive or print? Which work better?
I think calligraphy would cross the line into blatant sadism. For this, I try to keep my sadism more subtle :rubhands: .

And I just noticed the poll thingy, so I'm going to try that out. Thanks!
Last edited by altbob on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
altbob
Rank 4
Rank 4

spam_b: Not to spam, or relegate one's self to the lowest dregs of net life, that is the question.
How did you find the board?: Looking up BDSM, came across DD, then TTWD, and Google lit the way.

Re: Query regarding lines as punishment

Postby Lady Governess » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:44 am

Hi Altbob,

i'd have to say "it depends"!

If I am holding a long detention with a lot of repetition, I think cursive is probably the best way to go.

If my objective is to frustrate a girl to death, I like to use this http://www.senteacher.org/Worksheet/35/Handwriting.xhtml You have no idea how desperate you can make a girl feel if you print off (for example) 11 sheets of some line and she does 5 of them. Then when she things it's all over, bring out another one "to keep her busy while you check the other five". If you want to make her cry, declare the first five insufficiently tidy and have her do them again on five new sheets.

Sorry bottoms - this is just me and my evil ways.
Lady Governess
Rank 3
Rank 3

spam_b: I am not a spammer. I eat spammers.
How did you find the board?: Recommendation from a friend.

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:54 am

It might also depend on where the person went to school. I know that a lot of my friends went to schools that stopped teaching cursive, which means we're most comfortable with printing, because that's what we usually use.

You might also want to amend your poll, because the options I'm seeing are cursive and script, which in my mind are the same thing.

(Side note: my dear, loving wife can get a little excessive when assigning lines, because she enjoys writing things out. A few years ago, she copied the entire script of a musical to post on the walls of her classroom. Twice. In perfect "teacher" printing. Perhaps this is why the penalty of copying out our rules isn't deterring her from skipping her checklist....)
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: I am not a spammer, I *delete* spammers!
How did you find the board?: Hm. Well, I was poking around in my imagination, and there it was.

Postby W-Jigsaw'sBoss » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:11 am

Don't worry, dear wife. This current assignment is giving me lots of empathy.
W-Jigsaw's Boss

"I am loving, firm and flexible. Kind of like Lexan."
:cheesy:
W-Jigsaw'sBoss
Cheesy Goodness
Cheesy Goodness

spam_b: Still haven't tried spam musubi.
How did you find the board?: I married a(n equally) smart lady who made it.

Postby altbob » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:02 pm

JA- HOW DARE YOU question me? You can't tell the difference?
And how DARE you imply it was perhaps a little late and ALMIGHTY I could have made a mistake.
Ah well, in my tolerance and as a magnanimous gesture, I suppose I could change it. :hmmmmm:
You are welcome.

*BTW :doh: *
altbob
Rank 4
Rank 4

spam_b: Not to spam, or relegate one's self to the lowest dregs of net life, that is the question.
How did you find the board?: Looking up BDSM, came across DD, then TTWD, and Google lit the way.

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:15 pm

It's shocking how I fail at the bottom-ly task of kowtowing, isn't it? Just shocking.

:pray9: I hope you can forgive me.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

How did you find the board?: Hm. Well, I was poking around in my imagination, and there it was.

Postby altbob » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:55 pm

Given the obvious heartfelt acknowledgement of what I'm SURE you realize is a major flaw, I accept. I can feel your sincerity here. So, you are welcome for pointing out your mistake. *sigh* It's so hard being practically perfect in every way.
altbob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 pm

altbob wrote: *sigh* It's so hard being practically perfect in every way.

I know. Isn't it?
0:) 0:) 0:)
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

Postby W-Jigsaw'sBoss » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Y'all are silly.
W-Jigsaw's Boss

"I am loving, firm and flexible. Kind of like Lexan."
:cheesy:
W-Jigsaw'sBoss
Cheesy Goodness
Cheesy Goodness

spam_b: Still haven't tried spam musubi.
How did you find the board?: I married a(n equally) smart lady who made it.

Postby altbob » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:55 pm

W - what do you mean? She liked it so much Poppins asked permission to use that line when I finished training her!
altbob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Postby Meg » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Obsidian does not generally specify, just that my lines are neat. I generally write my lines in my usual handwriting, which is mostly cursive, but some printed letters which sneak in.

Lady Governess wrote:If my objective is to frustrate a girl to death, I like to use this http://www.senteacher.org/Worksheet/35/ ... ting.xhtml You have no idea how desperate you can make a girl feel if you print off (for example) 11 sheets of some line and she does 5 of them. Then when she things it's all over, bring out another one "to keep her busy while you check the other five". If you want to make her cry, declare the first five insufficiently tidy and have her do them again on five new sheets.

That is TRULY evil! Of course, I probably wouldn't cry, at least not at first. My response would most likely be: :scream: ....but I tend to have a rather low frustration tolerance. TRULY, TRULY evil!

JigsawAnalogy wrote:It might also depend on where the person went to school. I know that a lot of my friends went to schools that stopped teaching cursive, which means we're most comfortable with printing, because that's what we usually use.

Obsidian and I heard that Indiana was going to stop teaching cursive in school, and both of us were *horrified* about this. We thought, "No, that can't be. How do children learn to sign their names?" This must be one of the signs of the endtimes, definitely...lol.
Meg
rank 5
rank 5

spam_b: I am a real person, not a spammer
How did you find the board?: Through a google search

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:11 am

My elementary school switched over to this horrible mix of printing and cursive when I was in 5th grade. I'd learned perfectly good cursive writing, and then was required to use that awful stuff for a year, which I suspect made me un-learn cursive for the most part. Then, beginning in 6th grade, I don't believe there was a requirement one way or another, and I wound up sticking with print instead of cursive or that stupid hybrid.

I have read that a printed signature is no easier to replicate than a signed one. It's writing love letters where I kind of regret not being able to write cursive easily, because, let's face it, printing just isn't nearly as romantic as nicely done cursive.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

Postby altbob » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:23 am

I learned cursive in like 3rd grade I think? My handwriting is so atrocious though it's the only thing I got marked down on in my report card. I have mental scars from it.
altbob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Postby pinecone » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:23 pm

How many lines do y'all usually get/give? And what kind of things do they say?

I had a conversation with D about this topic in which he started out thinking it seemed like a pretty "cutesy" idea... then he decided that he would vote for cursive.... and finally he ended up with that certain gleefully evil glimmer in his eye, telling me he knows where to get that awful handwriting paper they used to have in school. :omgwtf:

I, by the way, voted for regular print. Because I think it does require me to be more deliberate in order to make it look neat, and I feel like I would be more focused on what I was writing.

D has atrocious handwriting too. I'm wondering if that in any way impairs your ability to recognize sloppiness in the handwriting of others.
pinecone
Rank 2
Rank 2

spam_b: i am def not a spammer!
How did you find the board?: i think i googled ideas for mouthsoaping punishments.... :)

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:31 pm

W has lovely handwriting, and I don't believe she's ever commented on the neatness (or lack thereof) of the lines I've been assigned to write.

My lines tend to be copies of the rules I broke, or some other lesson that W would like to drive into my head. And W tends to give in the 50 to 500 range, which can get to be a little excessive (tip to those doling out lines: time yourself writing it out once, and then multiply that by the number of times you're asking someone to copy it, with some extra time added on for hand fatigue and attempts at neatness. If your goal is a half hour of punishment, and you assign 100 repetitions of a long line, well, the writer is looking at something more like an hour and a half.)
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

Next

Return to Punishments