A whole new way of feeling punished....

What punishments have worked for you? Which made you (or your partner) feel frustrated or resentful?

This is the meta forum, focused more on general talk.

Re: A whole new way of feeling punished....

Postby splorange » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:01 am

Wow. Those are excellent points, B. Definitely something to take into account! It's a bit much for me to process right now but I'll come back to it I think. I agree it's not a great role model relationship.
'I had made the mistake of powering up my consciousness without having the appropriate scaffolding in place'

Marni Jackson, 'Pain'
splorange
Rank 3
Rank 3

spam_b: I am definitely not a spam bot.
How did you find the board?: The punishment book website links to it.

Postby bodack » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:50 pm

blackbird wrote:... have just watched an hour's documentary on the BBC about Fifty Shades of Grey. Oh God..... I want to throw up.

Thousands of women buying whips and jingle balls (?) from Ann Summers.... :sigh:

Suddenly, a rare and beautiful thing I care deeply about has become titillating trash. It even came up as an option on my supermarket "did you forget to buy this?" list this week. NO, I FUCKING DIDN'T FORGET TO BUY IT!!!!

Oh, take me back to "the spanking that dare not speak its name" ....... :banghead: ;)

I agree with you for many reasons not mentioned in the discussions but I haven't figured out a good way to put it.
Maybe this will cheer you up. :wine:
Fifty shades of Blue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKWIqRAW_WI
bodack
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby Ice-cream » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:16 pm

What a disappointment. I've been under a rock and decided to read the book to see what the fuss was about. I used to read mills and boon novels as a teenager and was always a bit disappointed when the promisingly dominant hero invariably faded into a dull vanilla wuss:-) I thought this might redress my teenage grievances at last. I was hoping for a good laugh. But apart from the heroine's ridiculous tea habits there was little to smile at.
Why are all bdsm characters in mainstream fiction weird or damaged? I'm horrified that this will be some people's introduction to this lifestyle. Honestly I thought Secretary was bad.
I grew up thinking there was something wrong with me, afraid to let anyone know what I was like, avoiding the kind of men I was attracted towards because I had no frame of reference except abuse and psychosis. The discovery that I wasn't alone and that there were people who were as intrinsically dominant as I was submissive was liberating. But discovering that many dominants were caring, kind loving people was life changing. I can accept that a work of fiction requires dramatic tension, that Christian's tragic childhood warped him, but why are ALL the other sub/doms unbalanced too?
Ana talks about bringing him into the light but for me the light was discovering that I didnt have to deny this part of me.
Imagine if gay people were only fictionalised as victims of child abuse/psychologically damaged/ perverts!
Ice-cream
Rank 2
Rank 2

spam_b: Definitely not a spammer
How did you find the board?: Google search

Postby splorange » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Yes - the worry really is that all the people who are reading it (best selling paperback of all time in the UK!!) aren't learning about a lifestyle they might like to try, but are just seeing it as voyeurism and that it will actually make BDSM/ttwd more isolated as people become convinced that only freaks practise this...

There are an awful awful awful lot of recent spin offs though, cashing in. Maybe those are better.
'I had made the mistake of powering up my consciousness without having the appropriate scaffolding in place'

Marni Jackson, 'Pain'
splorange
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby Eayore » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:05 pm

I agree Secretary the film tapped into the weird / damaged cliche. Mary Gaitskill's short story on which it was based does not have this, and I think is much better.
Eayore
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: What is a spam bot?
How did you find the board?: From the Punishment Book

Postby artlover » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:58 pm

Eayore wrote:I agree Secretary the film tapped into the weird / damaged cliche. Mary Gaitskill's short story on which it was based does not have this, and I think is much better.

I seem to remember someone who edits one of the boards mentioned that she found the "cutting" thing in Secretary a false note, and then was surprised to be contacted by numerous people that they did, in fact, cut themselves before getting into DD.

There are a lot of people doing some kind of DD or BDSM or whatever we call the various varieties. I don't think there are many valid generalizations that can be made about it.
artlover
Rank 3
Rank 3

spam_b: I am most certainly not a spammer
How did you find the board?: I was googling around and there you were!

Postby splorange » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:19 am

artlover wrote:There are a lot of people doing some kind of DD or BDSM or whatever we call the various varieties. I don't think there are many valid generalizations that can be made about it.

But equally, it's a pity that all the literature we can name offhand generalises it as born of psychological damage. I don't know. Can anyone discuss the portrayal of Ana in Fifty Shade of Grey? She doesn't sound damaged. Moronic, perhaps, but healthy :P

Marni Jackson, 'Pain'
splorange
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby jessewj » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:40 am

She sounds like a moron. Bee and I read parts of it to each other in a bookstore...
jessewj
Rank 3
Rank 3

spam_b: I eat spam for breakfas
How did you find the board?: I was looking for a domestic discipline forum that catered to all sexual identities and all partnerships. This was the most inviting one I found.

Postby altbob » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:19 pm

At least its a little more out there. Gradually, hopefully, people will accept it as a bit odd but common. For a long time only deviants practiced oral sex. Its not perfect, but its popular. As a Dom, anything that will lessen the chances I get put in jail for something completely consensual that a bystander/nosy neighbor reports is ok in my book.
I am not sure about other countries, but in most states in the US you are not allowed to consent to a flogging/whipping/caning/spanking.
altbob
Rank 4
Rank 4

spam_b: Not to spam, or relegate one's self to the lowest dregs of net life, that is the question.
How did you find the board?: Looking up BDSM, came across DD, then TTWD, and Google lit the way.

Postby lana » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:36 pm

altbob wrote:At least its a little more out there. Gradually, hopefully, people will accept it as a bit odd but common. For a long time only deviants practiced oral sex. Its not perfect, but its popular. As a Dom, anything that will lessen the chances I get put in jail for something completely consensual that a bystander/nosy neighbor reports is ok in my book.
I am not sure about other countries, but in most states in the US you are not allowed to consent to a flogging/whipping/caning/spanking.

I thought the law allows consent, but if the police are called by a concerned neighbor and one of the pair has been bruised or bloodied that the other has to spend the night in jail. (This is to separate them so that if the one is a victim of abuse she will not be attacked again once the police leave and so that she has a time period to escape /file charges)
Consensual spanking per se is not illegal as far as i know. Whipping, flogging, or severe caning might be different--not sure.
:hmmmmm:
lana
lana
Rank 4
Rank 4

spam_b: I am in a dd relationship and wish to communicate w others
How did you find the board?: On a web browser

Postby lana » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:46 pm

Theres suddenly a beet head showing up in my avatar place--how do i get rid of the beet head?

I liked being rank 5 better.

lana :llama:
lana
Rank 4
Rank 4

spam_b: I am in a dd relationship and wish to communicate w others
How did you find the board?: On a web browser

Postby altbob » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:54 am

@lana - it's a temp think, when you change rank. It will go away shortly. Just think of it as "getting beet" :doh:
altbob
Rank 4
Rank 4

spam_b: Not to spam, or relegate one's self to the lowest dregs of net life, that is the question.
How did you find the board?: Looking up BDSM, came across DD, then TTWD, and Google lit the way.

Postby muchinspired » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:20 pm

whenever R and i saw a chapters we couldn't help but just stroll in to pick up a copy, pop a squat, and start laughing or angrily fuming in an empty isle.
"Tuna belongs in the sea. I was just helping it be free.”

Matthew, Cabin Fever

http://rolfandranger.blogspot.com/
muchinspired
Rank 3
Rank 3

spam_b: maybe my Top has an account and i'm just being a bit snoopy?
How did you find the board?: ... R told me about it so i took a look.

Postby muchinspired » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:24 pm

But equally, it's a pity that all the literature we can name offhand generalises it as born of psychological damage. I don't know. Can anyone discuss the portrayal of Ana in Fifty Shade of Grey? She doesn't sound damaged. Moronic, perhaps, but healthy :P

---

ana's apparently not the damaged one. her 'dom' is. he... won't take his shirt off (to save her the horrendous depression at the sight of his scars)? and apparently his being a 'dom' is born from childhood sexual/physical abuse. because clearly all doms/dommes were abused as children and grow up to be just as mentally unstable as christian in this book.
"Tuna belongs in the sea. I was just helping it be free.”

Matthew, Cabin Fever

http://rolfandranger.blogspot.com/
muchinspired
Rank 3
Rank 3

spam_b: maybe my Top has an account and i'm just being a bit snoopy?
How did you find the board?: ... R told me about it so i took a look.

Postby Ice-cream » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:14 pm

It is rather interesting to consider the differences and similarities between Ana Steele, Elizabeth McGraw and Lee Holloway.
Anyone? :brow:
Ice-cream
Rank 2
Rank 2

spam_b: Definitely not a spammer
How did you find the board?: Google search

PreviousNext

Return to Punishments