tops and bottoms

What is this board about? What are the guidelines? This is also where I'll post general announcements about things that are going on with the board.

should the tops and bottoms sections only be visible to members of those groups?

yes
38%
no
8%
maybe
23%
I don't know
23%
I don't care
8%
other
No votes

Total votes : 13

tops and bottoms

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Tue May 27, 2008 7:14 am

an announcement, and also a poll.

first, the announcement: if i haven't already done so, you can assign yourself to a group as either a top or a bottom (or, i suppose, to both, but i'm not sure how that would work!). this won't make a difference in ranks, once we get the ranks set up (since to have them change with post count requires that they apply to everyone). but it will make a difference in the color of your name when it shows up on the board, and the little avatar that automatically shows up beside your name, if you haven't chosen another one.

now, the poll: who wants the tops and bottoms sections readable only to that particular group? feel free to argue your case one way or another in a post on this section.

(you should have the option of changing your vote, so if the debate convinces you to think differently, your vote can reflect that. vote early, vote often.) :peace:
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: I am not a spammer, I *delete* spammers!
How did you find the board?: Hm. Well, I was poking around in my imagination, and there it was.

Re: tops and bottoms

Postby Sara'sGirl(SG) » Tue May 27, 2008 12:24 pm

I voted yes. Because S and I have recently agreed not to read posts in the opposite forum, so that we both do have places like that to vent, or get advice. And now the red indicating new posts in that thread just drives me crazy, especially when I can see that she's posted something! lol...

Now that we've got some more Tops around here, it does seem like a good idea to make sure that both groups have a place to ask a question.

It makes me wonder if it would be helpful to have a couple forums that were called "ask a top" or "ask a bottom" that would be visible to all. But then, the way this board works, I think we all tend to appreciate both perspectives, and we always know what perspective someone is coming from, so that's probably not necessary.
Nic

Sing 'til you're breaking glass
or you're breaking down

~Idina Menzel

My blog!
Sara'sGirl(SG)
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: I don't like spam. It's gross. Meat in a can is wrong.
How did you find the board?: I found my way over from Punishment Board, which is a great site that you should all go see if you haven't already. But I'm too lazy to try to link it here.

Postby DaddysLucy » Tue May 27, 2008 12:37 pm

Topics with new posts go red? Not for me... but I'm on a mac. I wanna log on with my PC, but the internet for that is hooked up to the XBox. Hmmm.

I voted "Maybe"-- but I think my vote would be different if my top were on the board. Then I would probably vote "Yes." He and I have no rules when it comes to this forum, though.
DaddysLucy
Rank 4
Rank 4

spam_b: I am not a spammer, I promise!
How did you find the board?: Punishment Book, I think

Postby fail » Tue May 27, 2008 2:15 pm

I voted "yes". Nothing personal intended but this is more a bottom oriented board. Which is okay, I mean, ya'll are the ones getting hit and punished and stuff.

It'd be nice to have a space to just...vent, seek counsel, advice, reassurance (yeah, who knew, we need it too and not just from the person we're with) and not have any bottoms see it.

I don't post much usually anyways, but I'm always careful to sanitize and screen my responses when I do so as not to give any indication to Nic (or anyone else) that I struggle with things sometimes. *shrugs* that might be more my perception (or distortion, pick one) of things rather than how they actually ARE, but there's no place here or anywhere else to not be on my A-game. To not be in charge and confident and assured and "pffbt no, I don't have any doubts whatsoever about doing this. what? me? never!"

It might be nice to have such a space. Even though Nic doesn't read the Tops forum anymore, others do. So I'm still on guard. But then, I'm always on guard. Against everyone. So take that as you will.

And I'm rambling. And I don't recommend anyone giving me a smack. :P
fail

Postby Topper » Tue May 27, 2008 6:38 pm

I don't really care one way or the other. If GF wants to post and not reading that area is a way for her to feel comfortable about doing it - then I won't read it, (but it is a little precarious to pay attention when just looking for new posts). I don't think I have written anything that she doesn't already know about. I have kind of the opposite reaction from SMC - I might have more of a tendancy to act like I had the tough love approach down if I thought she couldn't read it and laugh. I like the ability to get feedback from both tops and bottoms but I have managed to do that anyway under other headings.(I have imagined the bottoms on the board reacting to my posts like "There goes Topper posting again, bless her heart. WE better chime in or poor GF will never get what she needs" and the other tops going "We have to help butch this girl up, she's bringing us down"-(I can't figure out how to put the smiley things in to show I am playing).Not to mention without the help of both bottoms and tops, GF would very likely not be getting what she needs and neither would I.
Topper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby Jen » Tue May 27, 2008 7:01 pm

After some thought, I've voted "yes". Found it difficult - maybe some people on the board really are "switches" and should be able to get to both, and there's the point that maybe tops and bottoms can benefit from the opposite perspective.

But overall, I agree with SMC's point of view -- I think that stuff is outweighed by the benefit of having a place you really can say what you feel, unguarded. Especially for the tops...
Jen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby W-Jigsaw'sBoss » Tue May 27, 2008 8:58 pm

I mostly agree with the "yes"es. I need to be able to vent about JA and not be in control and all of that, but it has been helpful to hear Onesong's perspective, at times...

I think mostly it's that I don't want JA reading it. If SMC decides to share what I write with OS, that's fine but in general let's have our little clubhouse. It makes me feel like I have a PLACE. :cheesy:
W-Jigsaw's Boss

"I am loving, firm and flexible. Kind of like Lexan."
:cheesy:
W-Jigsaw'sBoss
Cheesy Goodness
Cheesy Goodness

spam_b: Still haven't tried spam musubi.
How did you find the board?: I married a(n equally) smart lady who made it.

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Tue May 27, 2008 9:33 pm

people seemed to be leaning towards restricting access (or else they didn't know or didn't care), so i decided to restrict access to the tops/bottoms forums for those who haven't declared themselves to be tops or bottoms. given that you should be able to sign up for both of these groups, i think that people can choose for themselves if they want to be able to see it.

pretty much, the rest of the board (aside from the forum members see marked "private") is open to anyone who wants to read. gotta have *something* people get from registering (oh, right, they get to post!)

any complaints or frustrations or inability to get into the board or anything like that... post here or PM me or email me, and i'll see what i can do to fix it.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: I am not a spammer, I *delete* spammers!
How did you find the board?: Hm. Well, I was poking around in my imagination, and there it was.

Postby GF1 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:55 pm

Sorry to be so thick, but I cannot figure out how to indicate registration as a bottom or get to bottom only area. ARe directions posted?

Edit: nevermind, I figured it out.
GF1
rank 5
rank 5

Postby DaddysLucy » Wed May 28, 2008 7:59 pm

Crap, I can't spy on the tops now. And just when I start convincing Daddy to join the board.

Oh well, it's probably for the best anyway.
DaddysLucy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Postby W-Jigsaw'sBoss » Wed May 28, 2008 9:55 pm

Does it mean 11 people have voted that each percentage is a palindrome?

...just saying...
W-Jigsaw's Boss

"I am loving, firm and flexible. Kind of like Lexan."
:cheesy:
W-Jigsaw'sBoss
Cheesy Goodness
Cheesy Goodness

spam_b: Still haven't tried spam musubi.
How did you find the board?: I married a(n equally) smart lady who made it.

Postby Jane » Thu May 29, 2008 4:32 am

ReluctantTop wrote:Does it mean 11 people have voted that each percentage is a palindrome?

...just saying...

Ooh! A question on number theory. I can answer this.

100 divided by 9 (which is the actual number of people who have voted) = 11.111111111 recurring. This is because we are working in base 10 (because we have ten fingers) and 9 is one less than 10. Or put it another way 9 goes in to 10 once with 1 left over.

I'm a mathematician who loves to share => SM (Sharing Mathematician - edited after Lucy's post)
Last edited by Jane on Thu May 29, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby DaddysLucy » Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 am

What is SM? Sorry, degree in English here. I can balance my checkbook, but that's about it. And the only SM I know is kinky. Is this a different, math-y SM? Or is it still sexy?

Not that math isn't sexy. I mean... [Lucy scampers away]
DaddysLucy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Postby Eayore » Fri May 30, 2008 8:03 pm

I've not been able to connect to the internet consistently for some time now, so this passed me by completely. However, (and realising it won't affect the outcome anyway) I was still happy to cast my vote for a big "Don't Know".

I kind of like the idea that each COULD read the other's forum, but are choosing not to. Then again, it is so tempting! :teeter:

I'm sure you've done the right thing, JA!
Eayore
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: What is a spam bot?
How did you find the board?: From the Punishment Book

Postby Rose » Fri May 30, 2008 9:38 pm

I kind of like the idea that each COULD read the other's forum, but are choosing not to.

I feel that way too. I don't mind at all that the forums are now blocked, but I think it was good for me to have the opportunity to resist temptation, to choose to do the right thing. Isn't that what the discipline supposed to help me do? It created an opportunity for me to exercise some self-discipline.

But I don't want the tops to have to worry about me losing the battle against temptation, so I guess locking the forums was the right thing to do.
Rose
Rank 3
Rank 3

Next

Return to FAQ