[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 487: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 487: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_content.php on line 682: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_content.php on line 682: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
This thing we do • View topic - smilies

smilies

What is this board about? What are the guidelines? This is also where I'll post general announcements about things that are going on with the board.

smilies

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:23 pm

perhaps you're asking, "where did the smilies go?" well, if you want to use some, and i know that people sometimes do, just click "view more smilies" under the ones that are showing, and you'll see all of the various smilies that are available for your posting enjoyment. i decided it would be a little less distracting to have fewer of them show up automatically.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b:
How did you find the board?:

Re: smilies

Postby Dr.D » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:25 am

As an inveterate smilie user (or should that be incorrigible?) I'd like to see a regular sort of smiling smilie. A winking smilie would be ace too and of course, for us hat wearing gents, a hat tipping smilie.

I do hope you don't mind a newbie bringing suggestions to the smilie pile.
I came, I saw, I played conkers
Dr.D
Rank 2
Rank 2

spam_b:

Postby G.D. » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:04 am

Can I please add a vote for the hat smilie .......
GD
G.D.
Rank 3
Rank 3

spam_b:

Postby Dr.D » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:51 am

like this one
bonjourchapeau.gif
bonjourchapeau.gif (2.81 KiB) Viewed 11133 times

then there's this one (or similar)
grin.png
grin.png (6.6 KiB) Viewed 11133 times

and of course for the drama queens...and kings!
melodramatic.gif
melodramatic.gif (184 Bytes) Viewed 11133 times
Dr.D
Rank 2
Rank 2

spam_b:

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:14 pm

argh! another casualty of the latest update to the board software! i'll fix the smilies now, and add some of the ones requested.

which is to say, there *were* regular smiling and winking smilies, which shouldn't have disappeared. thanks for the hat smilie, and the melodramatic one. i really ought to go through and organize the smilies a little better, and maybe weed out some of the ones that we don't use.

perhaps soon-ish, i'll have people vote for their favorites, and limit the total to, i don't know, a hundred of our favorites.

edit: added them, will tweak the smilies some more later.

i did skip the big grin smilie dr. d suggested, mostly because we already had several that, for some reason, weren't showing up properly. they're back, and on the front posting page for your convenience. they also have the more simple codes: (without the spaces, they are as follows) : D = :D : - D = :-D : ) = :) ; ) = ;) : lol : = :lol:

further update: the problem with smilies not showing up is proving more complicated than i expected, and w strangely feels i should spend some time with her today, rather than in my room fiddling with computer settings. i will keep working on this, and attempt to give everyone the wealth of smilies that we've grown accustomed to on this board.

there are also some other cool modifications that i may be announcing in the near future, presuming i can get them up and running. they're the kind of thing that made w say "oooooh, cool!" when i told her about them, so hopefully that'll be enough of a teaser to make people await the next announcement with 'bated breath.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b:

Postby Dr.D » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:18 pm

:chapeau: ta ever so much for adding some of my suggested smilies and for restoring the ones I've hitherto been unable to see :-D

I hope you had a lovely day with W once you extricated yourself from computer noodling. :typing:

Now, where to use these fabbalus smilies? :rubhands:
Dr.D
Rank 2
Rank 2

spam_b:

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:40 am

ok. smilies *should* be working at this point. i will probably go back and remove some from the main page, because people have commented that the wealth of them, especially the animated ones, gets a bit distracting at times.

i may also have to figure out whether to entirely remove the smilies from the "minimal" style, so that people reading on their phones, at work, and in other situations where the smilies might be a problem can avoid having them.

at this point, the smilies are on several pages--if you don't see the one you want, click "next" at the bottom of the "more smilies" pop up window to be taken to a later page.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b:

Postby BickaBecka » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:12 am

This is just a thought... is it possible to group the smilies somehow? So you'd have all the basic ones together, all the bratty ones together, all the welcome ones together, that sort of thing?
Bec
BickaBecka
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b:

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:03 am

it's definitely possible, it'll just take a lot of annoying little steps. it's on my long-term list of things to do. i'd probably want to prune down the list a bit before setting out on that process.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b:

Return to FAQ