[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 487: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 487: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_content.php on line 682: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_content.php on line 682: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
This thing we do • View topic - so, about the board style

so, about the board style

What is this board about? What are the guidelines? This is also where I'll post general announcements about things that are going on with the board.

so, about the board style

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 am

i was feeling in the halloween spirit, so i switched the board over to a halloween style for the week. but i can also accept that perhaps not everyone wants that. here's a refresher on how to change the style of the board: go to the user control panel (as i look at the screen right now, it's the skull below the pumpkins on the top left of the screen). Then you click on board preferences (third from the left along the top row in this style), and choose a board style. the usual style for the board is 3myl_parchemin.

to make up for the annoyance, i also tweaked the "minimal" style so that it doesn't show rank images. if you want to browse the board without seeing the pictures, choose that as your style, and then go into the user control panel, choose "edit display options" under board preferences, and set the buttons to "no" for whether you want particular images displayed.

if you are lazy like me, and happen to like the pictures most of the time, you can feel free to make a second account for yourself, use the minimal style in that account, and access it from your phone. i'm still looking for a way of having people able to log onto a mobile version of the site from their phones, but the regular version elsewhere. this should help until then, though.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b:
How did you find the board?:

Re: so, about the board style

Postby mijita » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:27 pm

[quote="JigsawAnalogy"]i was feeling in the halloween spirit, so i switched the board over to a halloween style for the week. but i can also accept that perhaps not everyone wants that. here's a refresher on how to change the style of the board: go to the user control panel (as i look at the screen right now, it's the skull below the pumpkins on the top left of the screen). Then you click on board preferences (third from the left along the top row in this style), and choose a board style. the usual style for the board is 3myl_parchemin.

to make up for the annoyance, i also tweaked the "minimal" style so that it doesn't show rank images. if you want to browse the board without seeing the pictures, choose that as your style, and then go into the user control panel, choose "edit display options" under board preferences, and set the buttons to "no" for whether you want particular images displayed.

if you are lazy like me, and happen to like the pictures most of the time, you can feel free to make a second account for yourself, use the minimal style in that account, and access it from your phone. i'm still looking for a way of having people able to log onto a mobile version of the site from their phones, but the regular version elsewhere. this should help until then, though.[/quote]

Thank you so much JA!

I love the more playful styles, but being able to switch to the simple black on white backgrounds with no user images means that I can read this forum at work (where I work in the open and people are always coming up behind me). They don't generally watch what I'm doing too closely, but eyes are always drawn toward moving images and I worried about reading while I was there unless I'd shut images off at my browser. However, that meant I couldn't reply because the the "reply" button was an image too.

I know even small tweaks can be a lot of work and totally appreciate your efforts on this. It reminds me of the Doctor Who forum I read where there's a special skin we can use at work so no one can tell we're having fun!

hugs,

Mija
mijita
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:49 pm

you're very welcome. it's something i wanted for myself (i occasionally use a computer in public, and i don't necessarily want to share my DD experience with the nosy old lady at the next table over.) and frankly, anything that encourages people to read the board more often is a good thing in my book.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b:

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:48 pm

well, that didn't last long. :dry:

the halloween style is still available through the user control panel, but i figured if it was hurting my eyes, it would probably be bugging a large number of people trying to read the board. so you can switch back to it if you like, and i may also spend some time looking for holiday styles that will be easier on the eyes. why? because it still amuses me. i just want to be able to read the board while they're active.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b:

Postby W-Jigsaw'sBoss » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:49 pm

I misread that as "buggering a large number of people" !!!

I want a page that looks like notebook paper. JA says she can't find it. Anyone?

"I am loving, firm and flexible. Kind of like Lexan."
:cheesy:
W-Jigsaw'sBoss
Cheesy Goodness
Cheesy Goodness

spam_b:

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:07 pm

phpbb3 version... er, i think 3.0.5

i would also be happy with a board that looked like corkboard.

i suppose i could find myself a php tutorial and code it myself, which would be handy in a lot of ways, but i haven't been feeling up for that recently.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b:

Postby BickaBecka » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:30 am

Bec
BickaBecka
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b:

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:27 am

now that you say it, i think i knew that. at least, i've been able to tweak the styles of the board (ie, the minimalist style here, and some of my other boards), which means it's something i can do if i am up for it.

coding the entire thing is more of a challenge, but i could probably manage.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b:

Return to FAQ