UPDATED again. Read the first post for new info!

What is this board about? What are the guidelines? This is also where I'll post general announcements about things that are going on with the board.

UPDATED again. Read the first post for new info!

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:56 am

OK. i think we got through that with (knock wood) minimal disruption.

first, there are a couple of styles that very few people were using, and that i chose to disable in the interest of not having to make a dozen changes to quite so many templates. i'm sorry if one of the missing ones was your favorite board style, and i hope you'll find another one you like equally well.

second, SMILIES. yup, you can now make a smilie that is holding a sign saying exactly what you want it to say. be aware that the poor little smilies can only hold signs that are too big, so don't write *too* much for them to say.

you can do this either by clicking the button above the posting box that says "schild" or by clicking "Smilie Creator" underneath the clickable smilies. enjoy!

third and potentially the most exciting, you can now make a word press blog that can be integrated with this forum. all you have to do is 1, be a member of the tops or bottoms group, and 2, click the bit at the top of the forum that says "WordPressBlog" (or says it twice... hopefully, i'll figure out why that is and fix it). have fun. your login there is the same as here, so it should be easy-peasy.

please, someone test it out, and let me know if it's working for you. thanks!

oh! and i forgot, once again, to mention two other additions to the ttwd universe, so to speak.

prior to finding the utility that allows users to create their own blogs within the site, i had already started http://www.fiction.thisthingwedo.com/, a site where i and (hopefully) some of the other fiction writers on this forum will be able to share our stories with the world.

AND i learned enough to set up and properly customize a wiki so that anyone who is interested can join in and help to create the ttwd manual we've all wanted at one time or another--http://manual.thisthingwedo.com/ (a wiki: this means it's just like wikipedia, only focused entirely on ttwd; or maybe kink--w and i are in negotiations as to the scope of the project.)

so feel free to play around with those, too.

(not so much a spoiler as a way of making the original post show up without taking up space!)
Spoiler:
i'm going to be making some additions to the board today and tomorrow; depending on how long it takes, the board may be a bit wonky for several hours. the changes may also result in certain styles no longer working.

what are the changes?

one is behind the scenes, and basically makes it easier for me to manage the board.

the next one is a little silly, and purely for your amusement--i'll be adding the possibility of customizing the sign a smilie is holding.

the final one (and the one that's likely to take the longest to get working properly) is that i will be adding the option for active posters to have a blog that is connected to this forum. more details on that once it's good to go.

the point being, if you come to the board, and it's not working, it's because i'm making upgrades. my apologies to anyone who is unduly inconvenienced by me doing this in the middle of the (US, east coast) day. i've had a bedtime lately, and that's taken away the option of doing these things in the middle of the night. 0:)
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: I am not a spammer, I *delete* spammers!
How did you find the board?: Hm. Well, I was poking around in my imagination, and there it was.

Re: board updates

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:57 am

ok. so if you scroll down to the bottom of the smilies, you'll see small print that says "smilie creator"

click on that, follow the instructions, and Image you've got a smilie holding a sign and saying whatever you feel like making it say.

yes, i believe i *did* just spend about an hour making this work on all of the various styles the board has (with the exception of the "minimal" style, since the entire point of having that style is that people didn't want to have images).
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: I am not a spammer, I *delete* spammers!
How did you find the board?: Hm. Well, I was poking around in my imagination, and there it was.

Re: board updates

Postby Dr.D » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:58 pm

ImageImage

must be easy because I can do it!
I came, I saw, I played conkers
Dr.D
Rank 2
Rank 2

spam_b: spam? makes good war-time sandwiches.
How did you find the board?: lil s-j found you.

Re: board updates UPDATED as of Friday evening

Postby W-Jigsaw'sBoss » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:51 pm

W-Jigsaw's Boss

"I am loving, firm and flexible. Kind of like Lexan."
:cheesy:
W-Jigsaw'sBoss
Cheesy Goodness
Cheesy Goodness

spam_b: Still haven't tried spam musubi.
How did you find the board?: I married a(n equally) smart lady who made it.

Re: board updates UPDATED as of Friday evening

Postby Homeatlast » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:28 pm

Homeatlast
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: Spam spam chopped pork n ham. Not for me!
How did you find the board?: Whilst browsing other sites

Re: UPDATED again. Read the first post for new info!

Postby G.D. » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks JA.
GD
two girls - one firm hand
G.D.
Rank 3
Rank 3

spam_b: Should we return to WW2 rations then Girl can make me Spam fritters.
How did you find the board?: Girl told me about it

Postby Eayore » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Cool!
Eayore
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: What is a spam bot?
How did you find the board?: From the Punishment Book

Postby BickaBecka » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:18 am

Bec

But there’s no sense crying over every mistake,
you just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
BickaBecka
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: This time, there's wetware beyond the hardware and software :P
How did you find the board?: Never mind.

Return to FAQ