[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 487: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 487: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_content.php on line 682: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_content.php on line 682: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
This thing we do • View topic - Top suffering

Top suffering

In a perfect world, discipline would cure all ills. But in the real world, not so much. How do we deal with those diagnoses that spanking just can't make go away. (You know, depression, ADD, DID/MPD. The thing a therapist would put on your medical record to convince the insurance company that they have to pay up, if you had a therapist and health insurance.)

Re: Top suffering

Postby FootballJunkie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:16 pm

I have good news! He got an appointment and will be seeing a counselor very, very soon!!! So, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

TRH, I agree that mental illnesses shouldn't have a stigma attached to them, but unfortunately, they do.
Not to open up a whole other can of worms, but depression especially has a stigma in the Christian community, or at least the one I am in. I have been able to lean on some of my friends who understand that it is ok to take meds and that depression doesn't mean that you're a failure as a Christian, but there are those who think that anyone who suffers from depression just isn't walking close enough to God, needs to pray more, find their joy in Christ, etc.
Thankfully, I have been able to slowly open up to a couple of people. Having his mom be supportive has been a huge help as well, because we can both talk about it and support each other while being open about how much it kills us to see him suffer. Funny, I guess I had always expected to have a mother in law like Jane Fonda from Monster-in-law, but I may have just found a really good friend!
I also need to call one of my best friends who has suffered from depression for a number of years now and has a handle on it, but I just don't have the time with all that's going on to have a long, serious conversation. Once graduation is over, I will probably talk to her. I also would like to talk to her in person and she lives a couple of hours a way, so there might be a day trip in my future. I also would like some tips from her husband (another one of my good friends) as to how he deals with it when she is not doing so well.
FootballJunkie
mmmm
mmmm

spam_b:
How did you find the board?:

Postby Desperate4Discipline » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:21 pm

FJ,

I was giving this advice when I was overwhelmed with depression and the most simple tasks were too much for me. Make things as easy as possible. Use paper plates and cups to reduce the amount of dishes that would need to be washed. Order take out or make simple meals. Let the little things go, it's not fair to expect yourself to handle everything. Don't be afraid to ask for help either.

Hang in there
Desperate4Discipline
Rank 3
Rank 3

spam_b:
How did you find the board?:

Postby Meg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 pm

Meg
rank 5
rank 5

spam_b: