Applying for Disability...

In a perfect world, discipline would cure all ills. But in the real world, not so much. How do we deal with those diagnoses that spanking just can't make go away. (You know, depression, ADD, DID/MPD. The thing a therapist would put on your medical record to convince the insurance company that they have to pay up, if you had a therapist and health insurance.)

Applying for Disability...

Postby writegerl » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:01 am

Why the heck is it so easy but so hard all at once?

:boom:
writegerl
Rank 3
Rank 3

spam_b: I went years without filling this out. Pout.
How did you find the board?: a blog. uh oh. a blog isn't 10 letters.

Re: Applying for Disability...

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:18 am

easy?! are you talking about the US government version of applying for disability, or something else?

i consider myself a pretty intelligent person, and it was a struggle for me to figure out how to fill out the paperwork for that. that said, i did manage to pull off applying for and receiving disability on the first try, so if you need some tips (on the theory that i did something right, and it wasn't just that i am *that* pitiful!), feel free to pm me.

edited to add: i was approved in the first round, without having hired a lawyer. maybe i *am* just that pitiful, since everything i read about the matter indicated that most people are denied the first couple of times they try.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: I am not a spammer, I *delete* spammers!
How did you find the board?: Hm. Well, I was poking around in my imagination, and there it was.

Postby writegerl » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:26 am

Thanks!

I am going to apply for the federal one, but first, I am going to apply for the state emergency one, which seems easier. I'm told that the federal is difficult and I may not get it without an attorney.

The hard part right now is just managing to leave my house and accomplish anything.

:bi-polar:
writegerl
Rank 3
Rank 3

spam_b: I went years without filling this out. Pout.
How did you find the board?: a blog. uh oh. a blog isn't 10 letters.

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:50 am

yeah, that's a struggle for me, too, even with the depression vastly reduced.

i really wish they'd told me why i was approved so quickly, so that i could then pass that information along to other people. it might be that i am dealing with multiple issues (in terms of having DID, depression, and anxiety *and* having a physical disability). if that wasn't the reason, it might be that i was able to explain pretty clearly how the disabilities had made it impossible for me to cope at even a minimal level, and how that was different from before i had them.

one thing that helped me with sorting through my thoughts (although it was MEGA depressing!) was to make a list of all of the things i could do before i was disabled that i can't do any more.
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: I am not a spammer, I *delete* spammers!
How did you find the board?: Hm. Well, I was poking around in my imagination, and there it was.

Postby blueeyedgirl1970 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:00 pm

It's nice to know that some people do get approved especially on the first shot but definitely don't count on it. I did have and attorney and I was denied 3 times then finally allowed to go in front of a judge. (this took close to 2 yrs by the way). Yet despite the fact that I hadn't worked since 2008 and suffering from Bipolar Disorder, Anxiety/Panic disorder, sleep disorder, dibilitating migraines and an ulcer the judge denied me and the lawyer representing me decided he didn't want to appeal for me (but he'd help another lawyer if I got one before the 60 day time to appeal OR be happy to file a NEW claim after those 60 days) needless to say I found the whole thing extremely frustrating. That was a couple months ago and luckily last week I actually found a job that will be Monday thru Friday days in the medical field. I'm hoping this will make it easier for me to keep my disorders under control.
blueeyedgirl1970

spam_b: I'm a 40 yr old SWF interested in the DD lifestyle.
How did you find the board?: Googled Domestic Discipline Forums

Return to Mental health