Whinge

How do we balance consistency and rules with the fact that our bodies might not always comply? What do we do when physical problems make spanking a no-go? How do we explain the marks to our doctors?

Whinge

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Wed May 23, 2012 11:39 pm

I had a Very Unpleasant Medical Test last Friday--an EMG, which basically means that they put electrodes on you and see whether your nerves conduct externally applied electrical impulses. They did part of it by sticking needles in and running electricity through *those*.

For whatever reason, I wound up with an IMMENSE bruise on my right arm above the elbow--bigger than the palm of my hand. It looks horrible (and doesn't feel too good, either). On top of that, they had to put the allergy shots in a different spot on that arm to avoid sticking their needles into the bruise. And the new spot was more sensitive to the pollen, which means I've got another bruise-y, swollen spot at the outside top of that arm.

Why is it that marks or discomfort in the aftermath of a spanking aren't so bad, but this is bugging the heck out of me?
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: I am not a spammer, I *delete* spammers!
How did you find the board?: Hm. Well, I was poking around in my imagination, and there it was.

Re: Whinge

Postby splorange » Thu May 24, 2012 12:14 pm

Yeucch!!! That test sounds HORRIBLE! Did it hurt at the time? I gather it's pretty painful now as well. I hope that it has beneficial after effects at the very least. Hugs to you :lovey: I hate needles *shudder* and electricity.

Re: why it bothers you - probably because it's more visible. I'd be very bothered by something like that. I'd think everyone looking at me would think I was a heroin addict. However, there is comfort in the fact that they would probably just be thinking about themselves.

If it's not bothering you the thought of others seeing it - it could be that you're worried it's 'damage' rather than just hurt. Something potentially lasting. I know when I get period pains, usually the day before my period, I've forgotten my period was due and feel very very upset about the pain. And once I remember what it is, I don't mind quite so much, because at least I know why it's happening. With spanking, I suppose it's familiar enough and you've had it enough times to know the marks go away. No reason why this also shouldn't. It's only been a week.

It could also be that you are quite used to spanking, and you have put *a lot* of time and thought into fitting it into your life and mindset. The marks and pains are familiar, where this isn't. It's also a choice you made, whereas this, I presume, sort of was and wasn't at the same time.

Incidentally, is the bruise only showing up now?!! Or, is it only really starting to get to you now?

Feel better! :bunny:
'I had made the mistake of powering up my consciousness without having the appropriate scaffolding in place'

Marni Jackson, 'Pain'
splorange
Rank 3
Rank 3

spam_b: I am definitely not a spam bot.
How did you find the board?: The punishment book website links to it.

Postby JigsawAnalogy » Thu May 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Alas, the after effects are that they've ruled out peripheral nerve damage, which wasn't on the list of things I was suspecting anyways. The test was moderately uncomfortable while it was happening (think the equivalent of whacking your funny bone repeatedly, only in more spots on your arm and face).

The bruise took a couple of days to show up, probably because it was fairly deep and took a while to rise to the surface. Yay.

I'm not particularly worried by what people think, and I know it will go away. It was more along the lines of adding insult to injury, particularly since the bruise from the EMG meant putting my allergy shot in a place where *it* swelled up, and rendered my right arm really uncomfortable. But the itching and pain from the allergy shot is easing up, which is making me less cranky over all.

I think the main difference between this and spanking is that there is an element of choice with a spanking, and the emotional content helps to change my perception of the after effects. And W is fairly careful to do the spankings in a way that doesn't do something like make it difficult for me to use body parts (well, sitting might be uncomfortable, but that's different from being unable to get comfortable to sleep).
JigsawAnalogy
rank 6
rank 6

spam_b: I am not a spammer, I *delete* spammers!
How did you find the board?: Hm. Well, I was poking around in my imagination, and there it was.

Postby splorange » Thu May 24, 2012 1:22 pm

JigsawAnalogy wrote:The bruise took a couple of days to show up, probably because it was fairly deep and took a while to rise to the surface. Yay.

Isn't that exactly your favourite kind of bruise.

Anyway, glad to hear you're feeling a little less cranky! Hope it disappears in a punctual and timely fashion.
'I had made the mistake of powering up my consciousness without having the appropriate scaffolding in place'

Marni Jackson, 'Pain'
splorange
Rank 3
Rank 3

spam_b: I am definitely not a spam bot.
How did you find the board?: The punishment book website links to it.

Return to Physical health